versova bandra sea link



VBSL ( Versova Bandra Sea Link) Project is an important sea link that will connect the south and north Mumbai. It will be a 17.7-km long bridge. This bridge should have been called as Bandra-Versova Sea-Link (BVSL) because it starts from Bandra where Bandra Worli Sea Link also started but MSRDC (Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation) or other authorities have named it Versova Bandra Sea Link (VBSL). The construction of this sea link started in 2019. It's a part of the Mumbai Coastal Road Project. VBSL Project is expected to be completed on December 2026. Earlier its deadline was December 2022.

The 17.7 km long Versova Bandra Sea link (VBSL) has four connectors to the existing Roads in the land portions which are at Versova, Juhu, Carter Road, and Bandra. It is being built by the fund of MSRDC. The work of the four connectors has started. Some Piling has been cast at Carter Road Connector which is also called Otter's Club connector because there is a club named Otter situated nearby this Connector. The earlier contractor  Reliance Infrastructure has started the work in Joint Venture with Astaldi. The project was awarded to Reliance Infrastructure and Italian construction company Astaldi on EPC (Engineering, Procurement, and Construction) mode with a contract worth ₹6,993.99 crores (US$880 million) to build the VBSL in May 2018. It was a joint venture between these companies. The MSRDC also appointed the LBG (Louis Berger Group) for designing four connecting roads to link the Versova–Bandra Sea Link with key roads near its entry and exit points. It is also said that during the monsoon season, construction activities on the project will have to be halted for three months every year.

Cause of changing the Civil Contractor and employing a new Contractor

Because of very slow work speed, Reliance and its JV partner Astaldi get numerous warnings and Penalties from the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC).

And, Finally in January 2022, after transferring its all shares to the JV Partner Astaldi, Reliance Infrastructure quit the project. After that, a new joint venture was formed between Webuild (a subsidiary of Astaldi) and Apco Infratech Pvt Ltd to execute the project, following MSRDC approval. APCO Infratech Pvt Limited is an Uttar Pradesh-based construction company

Components of Versova Bandra Sea Link Project:

1. Main Sea Link Bridge: 

The Length of the main sea link bridge is 9.60 km in length. It has eight lanes (4+4). There will be 12+12 toll plaza lanes.

Connector to the Existing Roads in the land portion: 

i. Bandra Connector: It is 1. 17 km in length and will be comprised of four lanes (2 + 2 lanes).


ii. Carter Road Connector / Otter's Connector: This is 1. 80 km in length. It has 6 lanes (3+3 lanes) and also has a 9+9 lane Toll Plaza.


iii. Juhu Koliwada Connector: It is 2. 80 km in length with four lanes (2+2 lanes) with a 6+6 lane Toll Plaza.


iv. Versova Connector: It is 1. 80 km in length with 6 lanes (3+3 lanes) with a 9+9 lane Toll Plaza.



There are four Navigation Channels in this sea link.

i. One : 

There is one Cable-Stayed Bridge here in this portion which has Comprising of central-Navigational Span of 150m and a Back Span of 75 m on either side.

ii Remaining Three :

Three Balanced Cantilever Bridges: 

Each Comprising of Central-Navigational Span of 100m and a Back Span of 75 m on either side.

Project Highlight

The construction of Versova Bandra Sea Link (VBSL) is an EPC-based Project.

Implementing Authority:👉 Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC)​
Project Location: 👉 Mumbai, Maharastra, Between Bandra to Versova​

Project Contractor👉Joint Venture of M/s. WebuildApco  (Webuild has a 30% stake and Apco has the remaining – 70%)​

Authority Engineer​ (AE):👉 LBG (Louis Berger Group-A WSP Company)​

Authority Engineer SI:👉 M/s. Fortress Infracon Ltd.

System Integrator:👉 M/s. ABM Knowledgeware Ltd and NTT Data Business Solutions Private Ltd.

Contractor’s Design Consultant:👉 M/s. Dar Al-Handasah Consultants (Beirut, Lebanon)​

Contractor’s Design Proof Consultant:👉 M/s. Spectrum Techno Consultant Pvt Ltd 

NGO:👉 M/s. Tata Institute of Social Science (TISS)​

Total Contract Value:👉 INR 6,993.99 Crores​

Contract Period:👉 60 months (Construction period) + 24 months (DLP-Defects Liability Period)​

Project Starting Date:👉  Date: 24 June 2019​

Completion Dates:👉 The Revised Completion of Construction Period will be on 26 December 2026.

The Revised Completion of DLP will be on 26 December 2028.

Post a Comment


Featured Post

The Best Birthday wishes